Friday, July 18, 2014

Crazy Drive

Totally found out that no one should ever try and drive out of Alaska in the winter time. Yes I said winter and yes I said no one else should do it. That was on of the scariest times of my life. I have jumped out towers, down buildings, out helicopters, but this one takes the cake.

You watch all the shows saying Alaska is the wild. That is so very true in certain places. Those ice road truckers are part of that insanity. Twice on my drive out they almost drove me off a cliff. Then another one almost made me crash into a herd of caribou. Scariest moment while in Alaska was that one.

I was in my truck driving down the road on seven inches of ice in two-wheel drive. Out of my rear view mirror I see a big truck flying at me and my buddy in his small car behind me. Course the first thought in my mind was "oh no he isn't." I mean I was tarring at a herd crossing the road. He just gets closer and closer until finally he zooms past us. Slowing down I put on my four ways, lights on high, and slow way down. He whites us both out. Just for an idea on his speed, I was going sixty-five before he passed. Luckily the herd had crossed just before he ran into them. Still so scary.

Then you look a little further into the trip. We left lunch in a small town after filling up both our tanks. Yea well, we had no idea the drive we were about to start through Canada was going to be pitch black, torn up roads, no signal for nine hours, and raining. Yea ice and rain do not mix well at high speeds like what we were doing. Add in some moose out of no where and you have our trip. Slamming on the breaks at seventy miles per hour and in a heavy rain on ice do not mix well. A cow and the bull were just standing in the road watching us drive towards them.

So again I say DO NOT DRIVE out of Alaska in the winter time.

No comments:

Post a Comment